Comprehensive Examination (C.E)
Students pursuing a Doctor of Philosophy degree is required to take the Comprehensive Examination (C.E.) which aims to evaluate the student’s knowledge in the area of study, the student’s ability to integrate knowledge of research and/theories pertaining to issues that are fundamental to the field of study, and the student’s understanding of relevant research design and methodology. For this purpose the following regulations apply:
1. A student will be permitted to sit for the C.E. only after completion of all coursework required for the programme, and within five (5) semesters or two and a half (2 ½) years of cumulative enrolment, failing which his Ph.D. candidature will be terminated.
2. A Student who converts his Bachelor degree into a Doctor of Philosophy degree is required to pass the C.E. within three (3) semesters, or one and a half (1 ½) years of cumulative enrolment after the conversion date.
3. The C.E. shall consist of both written and oral examinations, and the student is required to pass both examinations with an equivalent of ‘B’ grade.
4. The student is not permitted to take the oral examination until he/she has passed the written examination. The oral examination should be conducted not later than 30 days after the written examination.
5. The examinations are be conducted by his Supervisory Committee, or a special committee appointed by the Faculty.
6. If a student is unable to take the C.E. within the stipulated time, due to medical reasons or other emergencies, he/she is required to apply for an extension with relevant supporting documents for approval by the Dean.
7. A student is given two opportunities to pass the examination. The second examination must be taken within 60 days after the first examination. Failure at the second attempt will result in the termination of the student’s Ph.D. candidacy unless he is recommended for reversal of study from a Ph.D. to a Masters degree programme [Rule 26(i)]
Updated:: 09/10/2017 [firdausmdjufry]
UNIVERSITI PUTRA MALAYSIA
03-9769 8111 (PostGraduate)
03-9769 8117 (Undergraduate)